As an art major I use Photoshop pretty much on the daily, so I’ve had my fair share of struggles. Below is a list of shortcuts and tricks I’ve learned throughout the years, in no particular order.
*On PC replace command (⌘) with control.
- Command + J (⌘J) = Duplicate layer
This is good for when you want to quickly duplicate a layer. I personally use this one all the time and it makes your project a bit easier.
- Command + [ or Command + ] (⌘[ or ⌘] ) = Quickly arrange layers
This is good for when you have multiple layers and want to move things in front or behind each other.
Bonus Shift ⌘ [ or ] you can move all the way to the front or back.
- Right click and duplicate layer to a different document
I love this one. Instead of copying and pasting a layer into another document (which I don’t think you used to be able to do in Photoshop) you right click on the layer in the layers panel and click duplicate. You can either duplicate to an already established document or to a new one.
- Shift + command + Z (⇧⌘Z ) to go back more than step/ undo
Unlike Illustrator, Photoshop is preset to only undo one step. You can change this in your preferences but for quick use Shift ⌘ Z is a great way to go multiple steps back.
- Shift + option+ command + B (⇧⌥⌘B) (semi) quick way to make a layer black and white