Very little is known about John Anderson of Newark, Delaware. It appears that he sold or traded farm goods, including pigs, cows, and sheep to local residents from 1891 until 1921. It is possible that he was partners in a firm named Anderson and Finley for a brief time around 1896. He rented property at 57 Chapel Street from Charles Krapf and maintained accounts for several family members including aunts and uncles.
Information derived from the collection.
Includes one account book belonging to Newark, Delaware, resident John Anderson, documenting bank notes due, sales of cows, pigs, sheep, and other crops, and lists of expenses and goods purchased. Account holders include numerous family members and occasionally local residents such as members of the Strahorn family.
Laid into the account book is a notice of taxes due to the city of Newark for the year 1914 with S.B. Herdman listed as tax collector, a receipt from Dr. Walt H. Steel in 1917 for services provided, and receipts for payment of rent to Charles Krapf. Also laid in are blank checks from the Farmers Bank of Newark dated for the 1920s, correspondence with family members, and a building permit and a building supply list both for a home to be constructed by Mrs. B.M. Gravell of Elkton, Maryland. These loose items have been removed to a separate folder housed with the account book.