Shipley-Bringhurst-Hargraves family papers

Summary

Creator: Hargraves, Nancy Sellers, 1898-1972
Date(s): 1692-1978
Bulk Dates: 1850-1920
Call Number: MSS 0684
Language: Materials entirely in English.
Abstract: Shipley, Bringhurst, and Hargraves are the family names associated with Rockwood, a Victorian Rural Gothic Revival mansion and estate that was built in north Wilmington, Delaware, between 1851 and 1854. The Hargraves were the last family to privately own Rockwood before its donation to New Castle County in the mid-1970s as a historic house museum and public park. The Shipley-Bringhurst-Hargraves family papers document the personal and professional lives, as well as the ancestry and legacy, of several generations of Delawareans associated with Rockwood.
Physical Description:
  • 60 linear feet
  • 1 oversize removal
Immediate Source of Acquisition: Gift of New Castle County, 2009
Processing Information: Processing generously supported by the Friends of Rockwood, 2014

Processing and encoding by Dustin Frohlich, July 2014 - February 2015

Earlier processing begun by Matthew O. Davis (2009-2011) and Amanda Daddona (2009-2011)

Finding aid prepared using Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Alternative Format: Digital copies of the photographs in Series IV.A. are available through the University of Delaware Library's Digital Collections website at Artstor Commons.