Incorporated in 1890 by Isaac White Carpenter, the Carpenter Paper Company was a prominent business in Omaha, Nebraska. The company was Omaha's first paper warehouse. Over time, Carpenter successfully established branches in Kansas City, Denver, Salt Lake City, Des Moines, and Lincoln, Nebraska. By 1937, the Carpenter Paper Corporation comprised thirteen separately incorporated companies that operated twenty-nine distribution centers in nineteen states west of the Mississippi River, making it the largest paper house west of St. Louis. The company is now defunct.
"Isaac White Carpenter." In Omaha: The Gate City and Douglas County Nebraska, A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress, and Achievement, vol. 2, 840-843. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1917.
"Carpenter Paper Company Building." In "United States Department of the Interior National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places Inventory--Nomination Form," 9-10. 1984.
Information derived from dealer description.
The Carpenter Paper Company cabinet and paper samples consist of approximately ninety booklets and sample books of envelopes, writing paper, and cardboard dating between 1900 and the 1920s. The samples were originally arranged in a wooden cabinet. The counter top of the cabinet likely served as a surface to show the samples to customers. Paper types range in color, function, and finish, and include samples of cardboard, writing paper, blotting paper, cover paper, bristol, and envelopes.