||George Gillespie Evans (1815 – 1904), the active community leader for whom this collection is named, oversaw commerce, education,
and the Presbyterian Church in Newark, Delaware, for over fifty years in the nineteenth century. In addition to managing a
general store on Main Street, Evans administered estates, served multiple terms on the Newark Town Commission, and held trusteeships
at the First Presbyterian Church of Newark, Newark Academy, and Delaware College (University of Delaware). The George G. Evans
family papers and supplement contain a vast number of documents revealing the historic business accounts and legal affairs
of the town of Newark, Delaware, and some of its major institutions. The papers consist of fifty-one bound volumes containing
over 12,000 individual items taped to leaves of paper. Labor historians and those interested in faculty and staff contracts,
negotiations, candidate searches, and hiring practices will find much of interest.