||Despite the prominence of the nineteenth-century Philadelphia architectural firm of Collins & Autenrieth, not much is known
about the background of its two founding members. Edward Collins (1821-1902) was born in Köningsberg, Prussia, and studied
at universities in Karlsruhe and Berlin, two important architectural centers in Germany. While there, he became friends with
Charles M. Autenrieth (1828-1906), who was born in Wurtenburg, and who was also a student of architecture. According to the
records of his family, Collins came to Philadelphia in 1849, and it is likely that he persuaded Autenrieth to come with him.
The work of Collins and Autenrieth was quite varied, designing buildings for both private individuals and civic institutions,
and much of their work centered on the German immigrant community of Philadelphia. The Collins & Autenrieth architectural
works collection covers the entire span of their partnership from 1854-1902 and contains 422 items, and includes elevations,
floorplans, perspectives, renderings, sections, details, blueprints, and several notebooks. The collection at the University
of Delaware contains only a portion of the extant works from the firm of Collins & Autenrieth. Nevertheless, the collection
provides a good indication of the scope and quality of their work.