Harrison Street Methodist Church papers

Creator: Harrison Street Methodist Church
Abstract: The Harrison Street Methodist Church had its beginnings as a Sunday school at the home of Wilmington resident Howard L. George. Named the Franklin Street Methodist Sunday school, it held opening exercises on October 5, 1890. The first regular session was held on October 12, 1890, with Mr. George presiding as superintendent and with fifty-six students attending. The popularity of the school led to discussion of the possibility of founding a church. The Harrison Street Methodist Church was officially organized and incorporated under Delaware law on March 25, 1891. The Harrison Street Methodist Church papers comprises published church newsletters (1950-1952), and weekly programs (1941-1954), but also includes church directories, correspondence, annual reports, budgets, programs for various church services, and lists of church members, officials, and Sunday school students. Although this collection offers an incomplete record of the church’s history, it provides a valuable look into the programs and activities of this historic church during the mid-twentieth century.
Date(s): 1935-1953
Call Number: MSS 0425