Lincoln Club of Delaware records

Creator: Lincoln Club of Delaware
Abstract: The Lincoln Club of Delaware began on February 12, 1929 when a group of forty-six admirers of Abraham Lincoln met at the Wilmington Country Club for an informal dinner-meeting. At the first meeting it was decided to make the dinner-meeting an annual event in commemoration of the anniversary of the birth of Lincoln. Each year a prominent speaker addressed the group on some aspect of Lincoln’s life, and, at the conclusion of the dinner, one of those present was assigned the duty of arranging the next year’s dinner. The cost of the dinner was defrayed by the attendees, and there were no dues or formal organization. In 1941 the Lincoln Club formally organized itself and elected a board of directors. A 1945 revision to the original constitution formally named the club “The Lincoln Club of Delaware” and stated that the objectives of the Club were “to promote a better understanding of the ideals and achievements of Abraham Lincoln.” The Lincoln Club of Delaware Records contains the club records and publications of the Lincoln Club from 1944 to 2005, with bulk dates of 1970–2004. Comprising twelve linear feet, the archive includes minutes, financial papers, publications, agenda, reports, invitations, programs, membership lists, clippings and other material related to the Club’s activities and to Abraham Lincoln. In addition, the collection contains material publicizing the Lincoln Collection and its special exhibits and events, as well as the files of John Clayton, University of Delaware liaison to the Lincoln Club.
Date(s): 1944-2005
Call Number: MSS 0568