The University of Delaware Library consists of the:
|Morris Library||Main Library||Newark|
|Chemistry Library||Brown Lab||Newark|
|Marine Studies Library||Cannon Lab||Lewes|
|Physics Library||Sharp Lab||Newark|
Online access to the Library
DELCAT Discovery, the online catalog of materials in the University of Delaware Library and libraries worldwide, is available via the University of Delaware Library web at library.udel.edu. Off-campus access to databases, full-text articles, and ebooks is available only to University of Delaware students, faculty, and staff due to license restrictions.
Visiting the Library
Borrowers with a valid UD ONEcard may enter the University of Delaware Library and use books, periodicals, government documents, and electronic resources such as DELCAT Discovery within the Library.
How can I purchase a Public Borrower Card?
New Public Borrower Cards will not be sold during spring semester 2021. Members of the public can request University of Delaware Library books through the interlibrary loan service at their local public library.
How can I renew a Public Borrower Card?
To renew a Public Borrower Card, please contact Renee Pauls, Library Assistant II, Circulation and Reserve Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org. Photo identification and proof of residency such as a driver’s license is required to renew a card. All requests to renew Public Borrower Cards will be handled remotely via U.S. mail. Library staff will not ask Public Borrowers to submit proof of residency electronically.
The annual non-refundable fee for a Public Borrower Card covers 12 months of borrowing privileges beginning with the date the card is purchased:
|Delaware residents||$ 25 annual fee|
|Out-of-state residents||$ 60 annual fee|
What are the circulation policies?
A Public Borrower may borrow most library materials for 30 days. All items are subject to recall by other users. Public Borrowers are unable to use authenticated online forms such as “My Library Account” because they are not eligible to receive the UDelNet IDs these services require.
May I renew books? Is it possible to renew books by phone?
If you have any questions about the material checked out on your account and their due dates, please use the AskCirc service and receive answers via email.
What are my responsibilities?
- A Public Borrower Card is not transferable and a Public Borrower must show some form of photo identification (such as a driver’s license) when using the Public Borrower Card.
- All library users are subject to inspection of all materials, bags, briefcases, knapsacks, etc. upon exiting the Library.
- A Public Borrower is responsible for keeping track of due dates and for returning or renewing library materials by the due date. A Public Borrower is responsible for all materials charged and is liable for charges for lost or damaged materials and invoice processing fees.
Are there any limitations?
- A Public Borrower may have up to 10 items charged out at a time.
- Public Borrowers do not have off-campus access to databases, full-text articles, and ebooks.
- A Public Borrower does not have access to the multimedia computers or equipment for loan in the Student Multimedia Design Center.
- A Public Borrower is not eligible for interlibrary loan service (in which libraries borrow materials from other libraries for users.) Public Borrowers who need items not in the University of Delaware Library may consult with their local public library, the library at their place of employment, or their school or college library.
- Public Borrowers are unable to use authenticated online forms such as “My Library Account” because they are not eligible to receive the UDelNet IDs these services require.