The Library, Museums and Press (hereafter referred to as the Library) are fundamental to ensuring the realization of the University of Delaware’s goals and aspirations. We, the Library staff, honor the accomplishments of the Library’s past while embracing the possibilities of the future. The University of Delaware Library staff cultivates and stewards the Library’s collections, both tangible and digital, and makes these collections broadly accessible to best serve the University of Delaware and the global community. We support and facilitate teaching, research and scholarship, and actively contribute to the success of our community members. We use a process of continual assessment and adjustment to achieve our goals and strategic directions.
The Library inspires the intellectual, scholarly and creative achievement of University and global communities with expert staff, excellent service, dynamic learning spaces and access to diverse collections and information resources.
The Library is the intellectual and interdisciplinary hub of the University. We partner with the campus and the community for scholarly and creative endeavors. We support the University’s efforts to have a positive impact on the community and offer innovative solutions to global problems.
The University of Delaware Library, Museums and Press contributes to a community that nurtures intellectual curiosity and free inquiry, where everyone is empowered to learn and flourish, in alignment with the University of Delaware Values. These values ground our strategic and operational decisions and inform the way that we develop personnel, spaces, collections, services and programs.
Our values in action:
- We provide a welcoming environment that is open to all in accordance with UD Library policies and diversity statement.
- We provide equitable service to our diverse community of users, and in doing so we recognize, value and embrace the uniqueness of each individual.
- We promote an atmosphere of respect and civility as an essential part of strengthening our campus and local communities.
- We preserve, disseminate and provide equitable access to knowledge in a variety of forms.
- We assist users in the creation of a wide range of scholarly materials, encouraging excellence and innovation, and supporting student success.
- We foster lifelong learning aimed at supporting an informed and engaged citizenry.
- We support rigorous scholarship and critical thinking by embracing the core professional values of librarianship, academic museum practice and university press publishing, including intellectual freedom, inclusion, privacy of users and social responsibility.
In accordance with these practices we operate with transparency and accountability. We recognize the dignity of all people in public and private discourse and engage in dialogue that builds trust and fosters collaboration. Thus, we value and cultivate the free exchange of ideas, and condemn speech or action that threatens the physical or psychological safety of any member of our community.
Each of the Library’s strategic directions rests upon the interconnected foundations of inclusive excellence, organizational effectiveness and user experience. To provide superior user experience, the Library must be guided by effective internal organization that is inclusive, adaptive and actively supports continuous learning. None of these foundational principles can be successful without the others.
The Library recognizes and celebrates the diversity of staff, students, faculty and the broader community. We welcome, respect and respond to the contributions of all.
Our organization is transparent and built on strong and effective communication. We foster an environment of collegiality and teamwork. The Library cultivates a respectful and inclusive work environment that empowers staff and values input from all employees. Data analysis is used to drive decision-making and responsible resource allocation.
We enhance discovery of the Library’s tangible and digital services, collections and resources. We create environments conducive to learning and collaboration. We continually assess library activities and services to plan for future improvements.