The University of Delaware Library, Museums and Press appreciates gifts of materials that support the University’s instructional and research programs and enhance the Library’s collections.
Due to space limitations, costs associated with processing and the donation’s relevance to the collection, the Library is able to accept gifts that meet the following criteria.
- Scholarly books not already included in the collection
- Works that fill gaps in the collection
- Rare books
- Primary source material, such as archives and correspondence
We Do Not Accept:
- Materials in poor condition
- Resources in outdated formats
- Popular fiction or magazines, such as National Geographic
- Incomplete or single issues of periodicals
- Titles already held within the Library’s collections
If your material does not meet the above criteria, please find a list of other local organizations that may accept your donation here.
Appraisal and Tax Information
The Library does not appraise the value of gifts. Appraisals are the responsibility of the donor. A list of local appraisers can be found here.
For more information, please refer to United States tax regulations. Of particular note may be Publication 561, “Determining the Value of Donated Property”; Publication 526, “Charitable Contributions”; and Form 8283, “Noncash Charitable Contributions” appraisal summary.
If you have further questions or are interested in donating your material to the Library, please contact:
- M. Dina Giambi, associate university librarian for Budget and Collections, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 302-831-2829
For rare books and manuscripts, please contact:
- Timothy Murray, department head, Special Collections, at email@example.com or 302-831-2229
For art, please contact:
- Amanda Zehnder, chief curator, Special Collections and Museums, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 302-831-4075