Off-Campus Access and the Need to “Authenticate”
Due to licensing agreements, access to most Library databases and other electronic resources, such as electronic journals, is restricted to computers on the University of Delaware campus. If you are a current University of Delaware student, faculty, and staff using an Internet service provider to access the Library’s Web site, you might encounter links to licensed resources from the Library’s Web pages. The first time you click on such a link, you will be taken to the Central Authentication Service (CAS) page. After you enter your UDelNet ID and password, you will be authenticated as a University of Delaware user and will continue to your selected link. You generally need to do this only once during your session at the Library’s Web site.
With proxy access, you can use all web-based Library databases, ebooks, and electronic journals just as if you were on campus. You can access all Library electronic resources from computers at any off-campus location—home, office, another university, public library, etc.
UD Proxify Button (for desktop) & Proxify Bookmark (for iOS & Android devices)
It may be convenient to install the desktop Proxify Button on a web browser’s toolbar. This button can be used at any time to access restricted resources. When viewing a web page that requires use of proxy service, click the Proxify button in the web browser’s toolbar.
iOS does not allow the web browser toolbar to be customized as can be done on desktop web browsers. Instead, users of iOS devices can install a proxify bookmark. This bookmark approximates the functionality found on desktop web browsers. This process should also work for Android devices.
Can I use the Papers app for iOS with the Proxy?
Papers for iPhone or iPad should work. When setting up Papers, try entering the following URL into the Proxy Setting section of setup information: https://udel.idm.oclc.org/login?url=%@
Who Does Not Need to Use the Proxy?
If you are on a computer at the University of Delaware or dialing directly into the University, you do not need to use the proxy server. If your computer has an IP in one of the ranges below, then you will have access to Library resources, and you do not need the proxy server.
University of Delaware IP Ranges:
Access to DELCAT Discovery, the online catalog of the University of Delaware Library, is open to all.
- Latest versions of supported browsers work best.
- You must have cookies enabled in order for the proxy server to work.
- Do not use VPN (Virtual Private Network) for accessing Library licensed resources. It does not work with some databases, and its interaction with EZProxy may cause problems. See VPN and Proxy servers for a detailed description for using both from home.
- Clearing your Internet cache and cookies sometimes solves anomalous problems.
- If you contact the IT Support Center or the Library for help, please indicate the date and time of the problem, what you were trying to access, the error you received and at what point in the process, the browser and version that you were using.
If You Are a Community Library User
Due to license restrictions, Library users not affiliated with the University of Delaware are not allowed remote access to licensed Library resources. You may use these electronic resources, but only in the Library.