- Walk-in Access
- Four Libraries
- Borrowing and Renewing from the Collection
- Computer Access
- DELCAT Discovery
- Film and Video Collection
- Reference Services
- Student Multimedia Design Center
- Research Guides
- U.S. Government Documents
Students, faculty, and staff from Delaware State University and Delaware Technical and Community College may use computers, books, periodicals, government documents, and electronic resources within the University of Delaware Library. A University of Delaware Public Borrower Card is required to borrow materials. Patrons may purchase a Public Borrower Card at the Help Center.
All visitors to the Morris Library must have photo identification to enter the building, e.g., a UD ONEcard, a U.S. driver’s license or a government-issued or school-issued photo ID. Frequent visitors to the Morris Library who are not a member of the UD Community and who are 18 years of age or older may purchase a UD ONECard in place of a Public Borrower Card so that they may access the building using the card reader at the turnstiles instead of presenting ID each time.
The University of Delaware Library is comprised of the Morris Library where the main collection is housed, two branch libraries located in Newark, Delaware, and a third branch library located in Lewes, Delaware.
- Morris Library, the main library, is centrally located on the South Green of the University of Delaware campus at 181 South College Avenue in Newark, Delaware.
- Chemistry Library is in Room 202 of the Brown Laboratory on the Central Campus of the University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware.
- Physics Library is in Room 221 of Sharp Laboratory on the Central Campus of the University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware.
- Marine Studies Library is in Cannon Laboratory in Lewes, Delaware, approximately 90 miles south of the Newark campus.
Borrowing and Renewing Books from the Circulating Collection
- Borrowing Books – Students, faculty, and staff from DSU and DTCC may obtain a University of Delaware Library borrower card at no charge by presenting a valid institution identification card and proof of current registration. The University of Delaware Library borrower card and the institution identification card must be presented each time materials are borrowed. Books need to be returned to the Library from which they are borrowed. The loan period for most items is 30 days. Overdue fines are charged if materials are returned late.
- Renewing Books – Books should be returned or renewed by the due date. Books may be returned to the book drops at the front entrance of the Morris Library when the Library is closed. Items may be renewed by calling the Morris Library Help Center at (302) 831-2455 when the Library is open.
- Library circulation policies
The Library has more than 200 public workstations with access to the Internet, library databases and electronic journals. All Library public computers within the Morris Library are accessible to DTCC and DSU users. There is a fee per page for printing from Library workstations. Licensed databases and electronic journals are available on site but remote access is available only to current University of Delaware students, faculty and staff.
DELCAT Discovery is both the catalog of University of Delaware Library and a catalog of libraries around the world. It also offers quick searching of articles in some databases. DELCAT Discovery is the first box on the Library home page.
Film and Video Collection
The Film and Video Collection includes more than 20,000 videos and films which may be viewed within the Morris Library on carrels in the Instructional Media Collection Department on the lower level of the Morris Library. Only in-library use of media is available to Delaware State University and Delaware Technical Community College users with their college/university identification card and a University of Delaware Library borrower card.
Students, faculty, and staff from Delaware State University and Delaware Technical Community College may get reference assistance by coming to the Help Center, calling (302) 831-2965, texting (302) 360-8747, or sending email questions to AskRef.
The Student Multimedia Design Center
The Student Multimedia Design Center is located on the Lower Level of the Morris Library. It has more than 80 workstations with multimedia and general application software. Delaware State University and Delaware Technical Community College students, faculty and staff with ID cards should check at the Student Multimedia Design Center service desk for assistance in logging on to multimedia computers.
The Library has research guides for every subject area supported at UD. Use research guides for ideas of where to start, tips on library research, and advice on databases.
U.S. Government Documents
The University of Delaware Library is a congressionally designated depository library for United States government publications. Ask a reference librarian for assistance with government documents questions.
Users with Disabilities
Users with disabilities have physical access to the Morris Library through the main entrance ramp and power-assisted doors. The Assistive Technology Center, on the first floor, is equipped with state-of-the-art computers and special software. The center is locked when not in use. Any individual who wishes to use the center should go to the Help Center to have the door unlocked.