About the Lincoln Collection
The University of Delaware houses the Lincoln Collection, which contains over two thousand books and pamphlets, photographs, artwork, sculpture, artifacts, historic documents, and miscellaneous material pertaining to the life and career of Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865), the sixteenth President of the United States. Among the most significant items in the collection are copies of the Emancipation Proclamation and the Thirteenth Amendment signed by Lincoln. Also included are official documents with Lincoln’s signature, two books from Lincoln’s personal library, newspapers and magazines of the period, and a copy of the Ford’s Theatre playbill printed shortly after the assassination. Among the artwork in the collection are photographs and lithographic portraits of Lincoln and bronze portrait busts. A group of prints by Currier and Ives depict Lincoln’s assassination and funeral. The collection also includes a large group of printed funeral orations and memorials.
The Lincoln Collection exhibition marquee window is located outside of Special Collections. The Lincoln Collection exhibition changes twice a year. To learn more information about past Lincoln Collection exhibitions, click on the links below.
- The Richard H. Stewart Abraham Lincoln Collection, curated by Timothy D. Murray, January 20, 2015 – June 14, 2015
- The Union at the Crossroads: the Election of 1864, curated by Timothy D. Murray, July 8, 2014 – December 19, 2014
- 1864: Year of Destiny, curated by Timothy D. Murray, February 10, 2014 – June 8, 2014
- Books Acquired in Memory of William W. Swayze, III, curated by Timothy D. Murray, July 18, 2013 – December 18, 2013
- Emancipation Proclamation and Its Legacies, curated by Laurie Rizzo, January 22, 2013 – June 3, 2013.
- A State Divided: Delaware During the Civil War, curated by Maureen Cech, January 24, 2012 – December 20, 2012.
- Selections from the Otto C. Rentner, Lincoln and Civil War Literature Collection, curated by Timothy D. Murray, June 1, 2011 – December 20, 2011.
- Abraham Lincoln: A Bicentennial Celebration, curated by Timothy D. Murray and Iris R. Snyder, January 27 – June 5, 2009.
- The Lincoln Assassination Conspiracy, curated by Timothy D. Murray, February 4, 2008 – December 22, 2008.
- Abraham Lincoln and Civil Liberties in Wartime, curated by Timothy D. Murray, February 7, 2006 – December 15, 2006.
Using the Lincoln Collection
The Lincoln Collection is available for use in the Special Collections Department of the Morris Library.
Books and journals in the Lincoln Collection can be accessed using DELCAT, the Library’s online catalog. Cataloged items in the Lincoln Collection include tracings in DELCAT for both “Lincoln Collection” and “Lincoln Club of Delaware.” A complete listing of these holdings can be obtained by either of the following DELCAT searches:
- Use Browse Author and enter “Lincoln Collection”
- Use Browse Author and enter “Lincoln Club of Delaware”
Manuscript and archival materials in the Lincoln Collection include the following: