Established in 1996, the Library, Museums and Press Student Assistant Scholarship rewards outstanding student service at the University of Delaware Library, Museums and Press and aims to make a positive contribution to the library science and allied professions.
Employment in the Library, Museums and Press introduces student and graduate assistants to librarianship, information sciences, museum studies and publishing. The scholarship encourages those students to pursue careers in these fields.
Because student and graduate assistants are so essential to the daily operations of the Library, Museums and Press, the scholarship program also serves as a means of recognizing outstanding student employees’ work and leadership potential, as well as supporting their pursuits of graduate education in librarianship or an allied profession.
One scholarship of $1,000 is available annually to a single student or graduate assistant. If there are no eligible applicants, no award will be distributed.
- Must be a current or former student assistant or graduate assistant who has worked at the University of Delaware Library, Museums and Press for at least one semester (a minimum of 150 hours).
- Must have applied and been accepted to an ALA-accredited library science or information studies master’s program, or an accredited program in an allied profession, including but not limited to: museums, art history, publishing, information science or digital humanities.
- Must have a 3.0 GPA or higher at the University of Delaware.
To apply, please submit the following:
- A completed application form.
- A letter stating reasons for interest in becoming a librarian or allied professional, and addressing how the degree program relates to your goals of working in libraries, museums or publishing.
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a Library, Museums and Press staff member addressing your current or previous experience as a student or graduate assistant.
- Proof of application or acceptance to an ALA-accredited master’s program or equivalent graduate program in an allied field.
- Evidence of a 3.0 GPA or higher.
The application deadline is April 26, 2021.
To download the application form (PDF), click here.
Applications can be submitted via email or mail. See application form for details.
NOTE: The scholarship recipient will need to submit proof of enrollment in his or her graduate program to the Student Scholarship Committee prior to the award’s disbursement.
This scholarship is funded entirely by contributions from University of Delaware Library, Museums and Press staff.
Advancing this worthy cause requires continued financial support. Staff who would like to give to the scholarship should send the Student Assistant Scholarship Contribution Form, along with their tax-deductible contributions, to the Student Scholarship Committee Chair, Sumera Aqeel.
Donations can be made via cash or check. Checks should be made payable to the University of Delaware, noting on the memo line: “Student Scholarship Fund.”