C19 is a comprehensive index to nineteenth-century books, periodicals, official publications, archives, and newspapers. It provides integrated bibliographic coverage of over 1.5 million books and official publications, 71,000 archival collections and 16.3 million articles published in over 2,500 journals, magazines, and newspapers.
A keyword quick search provides categorized retrieval in all indexes—Books, Periodicals, Official Publications, Archives, and Newspapers. More structured searches can be conducted in all indexes or restricted to one or more of these five categories. Components are:
- Books – Nineteenth Century Short Title Catalogue, The Nineteenth Century microfiche project
- Periodicals – American Periodicals Series, British Periodicals (Collections I and II), Periodicals Index Online, Poole’s Index to Periodical Literature, and Wellesley Index to Victorian Periodicals, 1824-1900
- Official Publications – House of Commons Parliamentary Papers, U.S. Congressional Serial Set
- Archives – Archive Finder; content is drawn from Directory of Archives and Manuscript Repositories in the United States (DAMRUS), National Union Catalogue of Manuscript Collections (NUCMC), and National Inventory of Documentary Sources in the United States (NIDS)
- Newspapers – Palmer’s Index to The Times
Full text is available from American Periodicals Series, British Periodicals, and House of Commons Parliamentary Papers. Full text of The Times is available in the The Times Digital Archive (not linked from C19).
Coverage: 19th century