Early English Books Online contains about 100,000 of over 125,000 titles listed in Pollard & Redgrave’s Short-Title Catalogue of Books Printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English Books Printed Abroad, 1475-1640 (STC I) and Donald Wing’s A Short-Title Catalogue of Books Printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English Books Printed in Other Countries, 1641 to 1700 (STC II). EEBO also includes the Thomason Tracts, a compendium of broadsides on the English Civil War printed between 1640 and 1661.
EEBO provides unique research opportunities in literature, history, linguistics, religion, art, music, the history of printing, and other disciplines. The collection ranges from single-sheet ballads to the eight folio volumes of St. John Chrysostom. Included are works by Malory, Spenser, Bacon, More, Erasmus, Boyle, Newton, Galileo; musical exercises by Henry Purcell and novels by Aphra Behn; prayer books, pamphlets, and proclamations; and almanacs, calendars, and other primary resources.
Currently, works from the following collections and units are available online:
- Early English Books I (Pollard & Redgrave, STC I), 1475-1640, Units 1-80
- Early English Books II (Wing, STC II), 1641-1700, Units 1-132
- the complete Thomason Tract collection of pamphlets, books, newspapers and manuscripts issued from 1640-1661
- The Early English Books Tract Supplement Collection, Unit 1
- The Early English Books Tract Supplement Collection, Unit 2 (substantially complete)
- Remaining titles from STC I (Units 81-87) and Wing (Units 133-135) are currently in the process of being catalogued and scanned.
For the later period, see Eighteenth Century Collections Online.