Nineteenth Century Collections Online
Nineteenth Century Collections Online is the result of partnerships between Gale and almost one hundred libraries to preserve and make content digitally available for academic research. The content is sourced from the world’s preeminent libraries and archives. It consists of monographs, newspapers, pamphlets, manuscripts, ephemera, maps, photographs, statistics, and other kinds of documents in both Western and non-Western languages.
The following archives are available:
- British Politics and Society – primary sources related to the political climate in Great Britain during the “long” nineteenth century, covering approximately 1749 to 1914.
- British Theatre, Music, and Literature: High and Popular Culture – primary sources related to the arts in the Victorian era, from playbills and scripts to operas and complete scores.
- Europe and Africa: Commerce, Christianity, Civilization, and Conquest – primary sources related to the “Scramble for Africa,” colonial conquest and the legacy of slavery, missionaries, explorers, economics, world politics, and international strategy.
- Photography: The World Through the Lens – assembles collections of photographs, photograph albums, photographically illustrated books, and texts on the early history of photography found in libraries and archives across the globe.
- Women: Transnational Networks – primary source documents, including serials, books, manuscripts, diaries, reports, and visuals focusing on issues at the intersection of gender and class—from the late eighteenth century to the era of suffrage in the early twentieth century—through a transnational perspective.