World’s Fairs and Expositions: Visions of Tomorrow gives researchers access to primary source documents about landmark exhibits from 1843 to 1940. With content types ranging from organizational and administrative records to postcards to Books of the Fairs and watercolors from the exhibitions, this archive captures the spirit, technology, design, and innovations that influenced the modern world.
This collection can also be searched on Gale Primary Sources, an integrated platform that combines Gale’s digital archives into a single cross-searchable interface.
The material comes from 6 collections held by the Smithsonian Institution:
- Books of the Fairs from the holdings of the Smithsonian Libraries
- Larry Zim World’s Fair Collection
- Warshaw Collection of Business Americana, World Expositions
- Exposition Records of the Smithsonian Institution and the United States National Museum
- World’s Fairs titles in the Dibner Library of the History of Science and Technology
- World’s Fairs titles in the Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Library